Thursday, September 18, 2008

Is 360 $ too much for an Italian class? And furthermore can I afford it?

Last year I made myself the promise that I would learn Italian this year by doing crazy things like spend 1/2 an hour every day studying one of the multitude of teach yourself Italian books and cds I have. And listening to pod casts and listening to the Italian radio station. Oh and going to Borders and purchasing children's books in Italian. And this is my favorite, choosing 10 vocab words per week, writing them on the chalk board and 'learning' them with my 2 year old. I never did this. Though I did teach her cocinella, ape and farafalla. In 8 months... I could have done better.

My first mistake was making a New Year's resolution to learn Italian. I never keep those. It didn't help that I called it'a year 2008' goal instead of 'New Year's resolution'. Come on we all know what it was. It was a thinly disguised attempt and hiding the fact I was setting myself up for failure.

I've listened to the podcasts. I've purchased children's books. I even have at 4 different teach yourself Italian book and cd sets. What it comes down to is that I need someone pushing me. I need to be held accountable.

So I searched for teacher led Italian classes.

Only one college in my area offers Italian. This school is half an hour away and classes are on weekdays at 6 PM. This is impossible due to my work schedule. I can't possibly get from SF where I work to Hayward by 6 pm.

The second option is a saturday class at an adult school. This would cost 200 dollars. But it's a saturday and the focus is on conversational Italian. I want to move to Sicily. I may need more than conversational Italian. Plus all my weekends would be occupado for 3 months. I'm not up to a Saturday class.

My third option is a class at the Italian Language Institute. It's closer. Only 15 minutes away. Conducted at 7 PM on Tuesdays'. This I could make. The downside is the class is only 6 sessions. Cost is 240 for the class and 120 for the text book for a grand total of 360 dollars. 360/6 = 60$ per class. It's a 2 hour class.

Is that reasonable? Can I afford it? I mean I have the money but will I regret dropping that kind of cash on a 6 week class? I guess the real question is, will I apply myself. I never did in school. That was the one consistent feedback I received from all my teachers from high school on.. Kelly is really smart she just doens't apply herself.

If I spend 360 I better have the best intentions of applying myself. Can I do it? Are there cheaper options? What to do. what to do.

2 comments:

Maryellen Pienta said...

Take the class! The more you spend AND if you get a grade and/or credit, the more you learn! I am living proof, having done that very thing in both Germany and Italy! Buon fortunato!

Maryellen Pienta said...

p.s. I tried all those other things, too, to no avail. :-(