Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The neighbors are crazy

I've got crazy neighbors. Huge shocker right? There's a crazy on every block so by the luck of the draw we've got THE ONE right next door.

Here's some background. When we were in escrow for our house we received a letter from the potential new neighbors. This letter informed us that our house sat on the property line and that if we did any work to the side of the house facing theirs that we must provide 2 weeks notice, proof of insurance for whomever was to do the work and the written promise to replace with the same age and size any plants damaged by any work done.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

We thought it was a bit anal but otherwise chose to ignore it. We weren't doing any work to the house that would require access to their yard anyway.

Fast forward to we purchase the house. One week after the purchase is finalized the neighbor man is outside trimming his tree. My husband walks up to him, introduces himself and says we just bought the house. The neighbor turns his back to my husband and says 'congratulations'. No handshake no nothing.

We don't move in for 4 months after the purchase because we were having work done inside. The town I live in is pretty anal about work without permits but we did it anyway because the work was inside and we weren't doing anything major.

Guess who called the city on us? Mr. Friendly. That's who.

The City shows up looking for permits. We were only having the water heater replaced on that day/ how gets permits for that? We do apparently. 600$ worth. According to the contractors Mr. Friendly came over several times when neither my husband or I were around asking for proof of insurance from the contractors. Our contractors told him they wouldn't show him because it didn't effect him. Essentially the work was contained within our property so why should he be so freaking nosy?

Then we had our yard in the back redone and he stood on his side of the fence watching and trying to talk to the Mexican laborers who didn't understand a thing he said. I thought that was funny.

All the while this man has been working in his house next door without permits. I know he doesn't have them because I live in a small town and the City posts everyone's permits online. I check on him whenever I hear banging. Sure enough, no permits associated to his address.

His background:
He and his wife own the property next to us and the one next to that as well as both lots directly behind those properties. This means they own 4 lots between 2 streets. His wife grew up in the house directly next to us. Apparently her mother died in it and when she did the wife stated that no one would ever live in it again. It's been empty since we've been there and according to the other neighbors for much longer than that. They tinker in it ever weekend. They come out and take care of the lawn 3-4 times per week. There is always banging, sawing and painting going on. And all with no permits. Oh, I've been tempted MANY times to call the city. But what it comes down to is that I have better things to do with my time.

What makes them either super weird OR super dumb (or both) is that they are sitting on a goldmine. They own 4 properties in the Bay Area! That is potential huge income opportunities. But maybe they should be commended for their non-greediness.

They yell at the neighborhood kids who wander onto their lawn or up to their front door. No one lives there mind you but they like yelling about keeping off their property.

It's creepy and weird the way they keep the house but don't allow anyone in it. In my more fanciful ponderings I imagine the house is just like grandma left it. Food set out on the table, bed made, towels hanging in the bath maybe a pie in the oven. Oh, I know it isn't true, now. It was only recently that they began keeping drapes open, if even for jut 10 minutes. On these rare occaisions I get a glimpse inside of the bareness of it.

Then last weekend the amazing happened. They started showing the house to potential renters.

Pause for shock and awe.

Is this really happening? Can it be? I watched as people came in and out of the house. Then this morning it happened. A moving van drove up. Out came 3 ladies and a baby. Then it was over.

Yelling and commotion from the back of the house. Then the lady with the baby comes to the front and just stands there. My husband asks her if she's moving in and she says 'I guess not. Thought we were but the landlady is freaking out. yelling at us and accusing us of all sorts of things. I don't need this drama so we're not taking the place.'

We left for work.

I can't wait to get home and see if they did move in or if they didn't. All I'm left with is a big wtf..

No comments: